My Personal Top 11 Songs by The Beatles

 The Beatles, even after over five decades since their split, have long been regarded as one of the most influential and popular bands in music history. Lately, their most recently released single, Now & Then, has made the news.

Inspired by the latest news and as somebody who grew up listening to the Beatles and being the son of parents who owned a few vinyls by them, I thought I'd analyse my personal favourite songs to have been recorded by George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. For each song, I shall be as brief with my reasons as possible..

So, here's my Top 11;

Number 11;


Octopus' Garden

I start this list with one of the rarest songs sung and written by Ringo. I'd say that Ringo is the most underrated Beatle out of the others.
To me, Octopus' Garden showcases his talent as a singer and songwriter.. But it also highlights how as imaginative he is as his colleagues.

Number 10;

Day Tripper

As a family, we had Day Tripper on one of our vinyls - The Beatles: 1962-1966 collection. Apparently, when John and Paul wrote the song, they based it on the influence of soul music from America. I can certainly sense it by observing the chord structure and by listening to that awesome guitar riff - which does add to the rock & roll flavour, as does the I-IV-V chord structure.
For me, it's the guitar riff  that stands out and is great for those wanting to play a Beatles song on the guitar.

Number 9;

Yellow Submarine

Yellow Submarine is a song that has often been learned in primary school singing lessons. I do remember singing this one myself when I was in Year 6. 
What heightened my engagement with Yellow Submarine much more was this one time when I watched the film of the same name on BBC2. I admired the surrealism of the cartoon and the humour surrounding it, i.e. when Suckaphant swallows up everything, including the submarine, literally the whole picture and then itself!
I can see why it's been introduced to kids for generations. But also, it's got a nice pleasant watery/sea life atmosphere to it. Even the way Ringo sings it creates the calmness. Yes, another example that justifies Ringo's singing.

Number 8;

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Here we have a song written by George and you're going to see a few more songs that credit him as the writer. While My Guitar Gently Weeps contains a smooth bluesy rhythm and it's also unique in the fact that it contains guitar parts played by none other than Eric Clapton. He and George have got a lot in common and I shall dig deeper into the reason as we go along this list.
The song to me really stands out on The White Album.

Number 7;

Helter Skelter

Another song from The White Album.
The Beatles sort of started of as a merseybeat pop band, but as time went on, they experimented more with different kinds of flavours of rock music. Helter Skelter is pretty much the Beatles' venture into a heavy metal vibe. Mind you, it did later get covered by Aerosmith, Motley Crue and a few other artists.
One other thing I like is the lyrical content. When you listen to Paul singing "Helter skelter, helter skelter", you can really feel what it's like to be on said ride.
I should also mention the end when Ringo exclaims "I got blisters on my fingers". That always made me laugh, even if it might not have been intentional. It's even been humourously referenced in the Family Guy episode, To Love and Die in Dixie, where Stewie has just finished a performance on the banjo and that's what he shouts after.

Number 6;

Within You Without You

Another song written by George and going back on what I said about While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I think he's very talented as both a musician and a writer. In fact, if I had to pick a favourite Beatle, it would have to be George.
I label George as my favourite member, similarly to why I labelled Brian May as my favourite musician out of Queen. If there's one thing those two guys have in common with Eric Clapton, it's that they've got the ability to play lead guitar and sing simultaneously which is not always easy.
But one thing I find awesome about Within You Without You in particular is how George's talent showcased in playing the sitar. Hearing his playing sometimes makes me really want to learn the instrument. In addition to that, the song's accompanied by other Indian instrumentalists and hearing those altogether really gives you a lovely atmosphere. It's as if you're really in India.
Within You Without You was of course recorded for the album, Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and noting its heavy psychedelic flavour, it really does show.

Number 5;

Good Day Sunshine

I don't know why, but I often find myself singing Good Day Sunshine every time I hear it. Maybe it's because of the way George, John, Paul and Ringo harmonise the titular lyrics or it might be the rhythm that goes with the words themselves.
Either way, Good Day Sunshine, which is taken from Revolver, helps us to embrace a lovely sunny atmosphere and a feel-good rhythm. I can sometimes imagine the Beach Boys performing this one. However, this is not the only sunshine-themed song on this list. There's one more that I like better, thanks to its guitar melodies.
Speaking of which...

Number 4;

Here Comes The Sun

It really goes to show that Here Comes The Sun was composed by George. Analysing his amazing guitar work on the song, I could always imagine him performing it solo. By that, I mean that I don't think he would've needed any backing and I'd say the same for Brian May when he and his fellow Queen members did '39. Of course in the end, the whole band performed on the song, except John, who apparently was hospitalised following a car crash and so couldn't contribute to this one.
Digging further into the guitar melody, the way it sounds really makes it feel like the sun's shining much more, as does the bridge where George, Paul and Ringo harmonise with the lyrics; "sun, sun, sun, here it comes". And speaking of which, one last thing I want to point out is its composition; how it switches time signatures and that it adds a clever touch.

Number 3;

Revolution

The Beatles have somehow been described as a revolutionary band. Like most internationally famous bands, they have had their fair share of political songs and Revolution is one of my favourite examples - a hard rock song with relatable lyrics about political change.
The song expresses sympathy to those who are fighting for rights ("well you know, we all want to change the world", etc), but it also points out that physical fighting is not really the right way to achieve things and that not everybody wants to get involved in such a scuffle ("when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out"). Added to that, there's hope ("It 's gonna be alright").
Revolution is a song I always enjoy every time I hear it, yet reflects on the importance of political discussions.

Number 2;

Paperback Writer

Firstly, Paul's awesome guitar riff and his and his colleagues' harmonies really do shine.
As for the lyrical content, Paperback Writer is another song with relatable lyrics. Only this one's not about being a screenwriter - the narrator, as the title states, is attempting to achieve his career as a paperback writer, hence how each verse ends with "I want to be a paperback writer" and then an additional "paperback writer", which puts a smile to my face, partially thanks to Ringo's drum beats that go with when they sing "wri-ter".
Talking of which, I also love how in the second verse, Paul details what the story that the writer wrote is about and how it ends with how the son of a couple's working for the Daily Mail, "but he wants to be a paperback writer".
But mostly thanks to the way the song sounds, Paperback Writer is one that I've enjoyed since I was in my youth.

Before I move straight on to Number 1, here are some Honourable Mentions;

Love Me Do

For John's amazing work on the harmonica along with a nice simple rhythm.

Can't Buy Me Love

A 12-bar blues song I have fond memories of, thanks partially to the scene in A Hard Day's Night where the guys dance and trespass one what looks like a park.

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

George's sitar work blends into the cultural atmosphere.

All You Need Is Love

A light-hearted enjoyable waltzing anthem.

Something

Another masterpiece written by George, showcasing his talents as a lead guitarist and vocalist - Eric Clapton must've really faced some competition!

And Number 1;

I Want To Hold Your Hand

Even since before I knew the Beatles performed this one, I Want To Hold Your Hand is a song I've personally always loved for a very long time and it's one I still enjoy listening to.
Firstly, I love the chord sequence and I feel that John and Paul made the right choice composing it in the key of G, since it really contrasts with the happiness of the song. Talking of which, the happiness is also highlighted especially during the second time when "I want to hold you hand" is sung, especially the enthesis on "hand".
If I could dig deeper into the lyrics, as far as love songs go, there have been a lot of those in music history. I Want To Hold Your Hand is one of those songs that engages me with its upbeat rhythm, right up there with songs such as The Searchers' Sweets For My Sweet.
To summarise, the upbeat rhythm and lyrics make I Want To Hold Your Hand a light-hearted masterpiece.

So that was my personal ranking of songs by The Beatles. May their legacy continue.
Thank you and do feel free to leave your comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jon Ellison's Filmography

The Reckoning