RBG (2018)

Happy International Women's Day everybody!
It's that time of year again when we celebrate the rights deservedly gained some time ago by the female members of the public. And speaking of women's rights, I thought that on this occasion, I'd review a film I recently watched with a Chinese lady friend of mine.

The film I refer to is RBG, a documentary movie about Ruth Bader Ginsburg who for those of you who don't know, was the first American female Jewish lawyer (2nd in general) who soon achieved her title as the Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. As a matter of fact, I had no idea about that at first, but there are still lots of things out there to research.
It was great to see, despite the film being made just two years before Ruth's unfortunate death, how well she was keeping at the time - seeing shots of her in her local gymnasium and with her trainer. I also loved the way the film expressed her development, not only through her career in law, but how she tackled cases that related to how some women were being discriminated and proved that females are as capable of carrying certain tasks as males are, such as fighting alongside the military.
By observing the interviews with some university students, some of them have stated how inspiring Ruth's teachings were. It seemed that Ruth has proved to be a fantastic role model even to the younger folk since the start of her career. It seemed that Ruth was the female version of Mahatma Gandhi and/or Martin Luther King Jr.


One other element I want to point out before I close this review is Ruth's dry sense of humour - part of it relates to how she's referred to herself as RBG and used it as a play-on-words for the rap musician Notorious B.I.G. There are also the camera shots of how Ruth has been characterised - in a TV chat show where a younger lady impersonates her, the tattoos, and even a parody of a poster of Wonder Woman. It also demonstrates that Ruth seemed to be fully in touch with the modern world despite her age and how she's been admired by younger generations.
Of course, if my mum was still active, I think she would've found this documentary interesting and like most of my relatives, would've even laughed along during the amusing moments. I would like to thank my friend for recommending me this movie and I would share those recommendations to the rest of the public to have a look and see for yourselves.
Rest in peace, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and once again, Happy International Women's Day to everybody in the world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jon Ellison's Filmography

The Reckoning

My Personal Top 11 Songs by The Beatles