New Sound Equipment Purchased and New Film Out!

Usually, when something new and interesting happens in my life, I write about it quickly. However, daily responsibilities often delay me. Now seems like the right time to share some updates.

Recently, I've been working as a freelance sound recordist and assistant on various short films and features, mostly on location. Earlier this month, I assisted on a short film in Coventry, using the provided equipment, including a Mix-Pre-6. Though it was new to me, it was easy to use. Owning your own equipment can be very helpful, which brings me to my recent purchases.

First up is the Zoom F8N. Previously, I used a pocket-sized Tascam, which I still have. The Zoom F8N allows for multiple microphones to be connected. I tested it with a new boom microphone, and the sound quality was excellent. It's great for both indoor and outdoor shoots. However, for outdoor use, always carry spare AA batteries because the device consumes a lot of battery power. One issue I encountered was that a couple of my lavalier mics didn’t work with it.

I bought these lav mics late last year but haven’t used them much. They worked during initial tests, but not with the Zoom. For recording sessions, I recommend connecting them to an iPhone or similar device—they worked well with my phone. Lav mics are popular in local film productions, often used for each actor to capture clear dialogue. This is helpful for career progression in filmmaking.

Additionally, I bought a waterproof case for the Zoom F8N. It has openings for plugging in mics and space for batteries, leads, memory cards, or headphones. It’s designed for Zooms, but other devices like Tascam or Mix-Pre-6 could fit too. While it can’t hold everything, planning for alternative storage is always good.

I also purchased a Rode Blimp, a windshield for boom mics, which blocks wind noise when filming outdoors. It comes with an extra cover and works well with my shotgun mics. I suggest to always record some ambient sound with or without the windshield for easier editing in post-production.

Lastly, I bought a spare XLR cable and extension jacks. The Zoom has many ports for these cables, and having spares is handy. The Tascam uses 3.5mm jack plugs, so the extension plugs are useful too.

These are my new equipment purchases, and I plan to put them to good use. Even if film shoots provide equipment, practicing with my own gear is crucial for personal development.

Speaking of sound, I'd like to introduce a film I worked on as the boom operator last year.


Here’s the trailer for "Code Duello: From The Tithebanner Saga," a fantasy adventure. The filming was an adventure in itself, with camping and narrow country roads. I’m excited to see the final film and appreciate all the hard work from Cameron Lalor and the rest of the team.

Looking forward to its release!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jon Ellison's Filmography

The Reckoning

My Personal Top 11 Songs by The Beatles